Best Construction Collaboration & Project Management Software Tools
- What is Construction Collaboration?
- Construction collaboration software
- Jonas Enterprise
- Sage 100 Contractor
- Contractors Software Group
- eSUB Cloud Subcontractor
- Autodesk Construction Cloud (formerly Autodesk BIM 360)
- Jonas Premier (Premier Construction Software)
- UDA ConstructionSuite
- Improving collaboration in construction
- Why you can trust us
Both construction collaboration and project management are two processes that are extremely important in the current landscape of the construction environment. To make both of those easier, there’s a significant market of construction project management tools that also help with construction collaboration. This kind of software makes it easier to control various important parameters of a project, including time, costs and overall quality.
It is rather surprising how outdated some parts of the construction industry can be today. For example, using McKinsey’s Index of Digitalization from 2015, we can see that construction is one of the least digitized sectors on the planet, with agriculture being the only one that is even worse than that. In this context, it is easy to see how the lack of digital solutions and the overall conservative approach in the industry leads to so many issues happening across the board regularly.
There is also Autodesk’s report called “Trust Matters: The High Cost of Low Trust”. This report showcases that 43% of some of the most trusted construction teams put most of their efforts into creating collaborative environments and using collaboration-centric strategies to work on their projects.
A construction industry is an industry where not only is there competition between construction companies but there is also competition between different stakeholders for something as simple as personal profit. Conflicts based on competitiveness and mistrust can include project delays, poor coordination between stakeholders, failure to meet budget constraints, and general distrust from one team to another.
This is where construction collaboration comes in.
What is Construction Collaboration?
Construction collaboration, or collaboration in construction, is both a simple and a complicated term simultaneously. The simple part is the definition – construction collaboration implies multiple teams working together to complete a specific project. In a perfect world, each party involved in a project can see the project’s goals and contribute towards a single goal of the project in question, eliminating gatekeeping, competition, and so on.
Construction collaboration is also incredibly useful for the project, providing better results, fewer delays, more profit, and a host of other advantages. Effective collaboration in the construction industry is a crucial part of success for many construction companies.
Unfortunately, construction collaboration is also challenging to implement since the industry is both extremely old and somewhat fragmented in the way it works. The construction industry is not only competitive in terms of one construction company against another, but also when it comes to different teams, stakeholders, and other contributors to the same project – it is not uncommon for a company to be far more interested in short-term personal goals rather than shared long-term goals such as completing the project as a whole.
This approach is how many construction contracts work to this day – there are multiple segments of the job, and each segment has its own team or stakeholder. The problem here is not the approach itself but how each part of the project is presented like an individual event, not a part of a bigger, more extensive process.
At the same time, many construction projects are created in an adversarial environment, with each participant competing with the other members for their own profit – which is why disputes, conflicts, and overall project delays are so common in the industry.
Such competition also limits the effectiveness of coordination between different parts of the project, creating more delays and potential issues. Additionally, subcontractors are not uncommon to not be treated like partners on equal footing, giving birth to even more conflicts and issues.
That’s not to say that successful construction collaboration between different parties can be achieved overnight – the process of changing the culture itself is lengthy, expensive, and would most likely face a lot of resistance toward newer techniques and methods. Luckily, successful collaboration proved to be more cost-effective in the long run, but the rest of the problems remain the same.
In an industry as competitive as the construction one, it is not that difficult to see why putting more effort into collaboration brings so many positive results. However, the number of different challenges that companies face when attempting to improve their collaboration results is rather high, with examples such as:
- The overall resistance to changes in a rather conservative field that is the construction industry
- The upfront price of creating a new system or improving the existing one to accommodate for more collaboration efforts (the long-term price is not that significant in this context, even if it is also important)
- A number of growing pains associated with adopting a new strategy, such as training and so on.
Motivation is also an essential part of such a process. Construction collaboration can offer multiple different benefits to its users if done correctly. Some of these advantages are:
- Better work quality – one of the most general and encompassing benefits of the construction collaboration on this list, drawing parallels between efficient communication and general project efficiency. Suppose different parties within the same construction project can communicate with each other easily and always have access to the project’s current status. In that case, the project itself is performed with far fewer errors and with much more confidence when fulfilling the client’s expectations.
- Better reputation – a direct consequence of fewer reworks and conflicts during or before the construction process. Having projects completed with zero issues in your portfolio is a big reputation boost for any company since the industry is massive. Many companies are conservative regarding new technology and approaches to existing processes.
- Less frequent or nonexistent delays – another consequence of having direct uninterrupted communication between different parties in the same project. Many errors and miscalculations within a project’s lifetime often delay the original project delivery timeline. Drastically reducing or eliminating those errors transfers directly into companies being able to deliver projects on time and encounter fewer delays as a whole.
- More satisfied clients – many forget that the client is also a part of the project from start to finish and an important one. Most of the miscommunication issues are also applied to the client as the participant in the project, and every delay or error means more resources and time that the client has to spend to receive the project’s results. As such, transparency in communications is important between different parties in a construction project and between the client and everyone else.
- Fewer resources wasted – touching upon the topic of isolated bubbles where each project participant is working in, it is fairly easy to see how disconnect between different parties leads to completely avoidable errors and mishaps. This kind of approach is faulty since it is that much more efficient to solve issues as they appear and not several project stages later, with timely fixes drawing far less money and other resources in comparison.
- More accurate budget and time estimates – reaping benefits of construction communication software, it is easy to see how direct access to all of the existing project information within one platform makes it much easier to calculate estimates and deadlines within that project.
Construction collaboration software
Construction collaboration is supposed to build trust between participants, making the entire process streamlined and easy to work with, having clear-cut responsibilities and roles for each team, making the communication as easy as possible, and so on. However, it is rather difficult to imagine a modern construction collaboration system without a dedicated software type that can help with it. This is where construction project management software comes in.
There are three main types of construction software that could be considered capable of construction collaboration efforts – not all of them have to have the entirety of construction collaboration features since every type has its own specialties and advantages.
Building Information Modeling software is the first example of such software – a comprehensive 3D modeling solution that has a lot of popularity among AEC experts and other participants in the construction industry. The basic definition of BIM is that it is a virtual representation of a future design that can be created and tested before its physical counterpart is created.
It also allows for an easier insight into a project’s current status. This alone is a massive change compared to how project updates were discussed before BIM’s popularization. There are also plenty of other features that BIM software offers to make it easier and more efficient for every single stakeholder to participate in a project’s creation.
BIM can work as a storage for various project-related information, be it project specifications, design details, project timelines, project requirements, and even supply logistics data. The usage of BIM greatly reduces the number of potential inconsistencies or miscommunication errors because there is only one BIM model that acts as a single data source for all participants at once.
Project Management software has one of the most self-explanatory names on this list – it is used to manage projects, creating a more productive and effective work environment with better workflows and faster decision-making. It can act as a data exchange platform between different parties while also serving as a great place to gather necessary information for every stakeholder. Other features of project management solutions may include bid management, customer service features, budget estimates, document management, resource management, and many others.
Having information from different stakeholders in a single location allows decision-makers to perform more accurate estimates in terms of project length, as well as budgeting, setting deadlines, determining project quality, and even the project scope in question.
Project management software makes it a lot easier to perform all kinds of complex procedures in this department while also being a useful notification tool for all stakeholders when it comes to significant project changes or other important information.
Resource Management software is just as important as the other two; it is responsible for allocating, organizing, and planning a project’s current and future resources to meet the requirements and/or the schedule. The goal of every resource management effort is to utilize the existing resources as effectively as possible, and digital resource management solutions are a great help with that.
Resource management software is a great help when it comes to delegating tools and resources to specific parties, as well as whether a stakeholder needs more resources or if the work that was assigned to them is already done or not. All of that could be managed and monitored using resource management solutions.
This can also be used to reduce the number of errors that happen because of miscommunication, and there are also features such as asset tracking, cloud backup, QR code support, GPS support, and many others. Resource management software is great at streamlining workflows and reducing downtime.
Other advantages of resource management solutions include:
- Better company culture
- Easier development of more innovative problem-solving methods
- Higher efficiency of every workforce meeting
- Elimination of information and resource silos within an organization
Surprisingly enough, file-sharing services can also be considered construction collaboration environments since they can offer one of the most important features of construction collaboration – being able to share data between different users. Cloud service providers such as Dropbox, Google Drive, HighTail, and even SharePoint have their own specific details about service, be it pricing plans, security levels, storage limitations, encryption capabilities, and so on.
The same could be said for video conferencing tools, which have become several times more important than ever since the beginning of the pandemic. With remote work being so commonplace to this day, having a solution that can bring all project members together is crucial for improving performance and plenty of other advantages.
Some of the more prominent examples of video conferencing tools are Slack, Skype, Zoom, and Hangouts. There can also be other examples of such software, of course, and some of the more prominent features of such software include:
- Versatile file sharing
- Screen sharing capabilities with a high level of detail
- Ability to create meeting recordings for people that are unable to attend those meetings as they happen
- Chatting capabilities during video meetings help with information consolidation while also being able to highlight various concerns
Google offers many different solutions for all kinds of use cases, which is why the so-called G-suite is another recommended set of tools here. It includes Drive, Calendar, Gmail, Docs, Sheets, and a number of other intertwined applications, capable of providing the means of connecting different members of your team or project with each other from any part of the planet. The majority of aforementioned solutions provide the means of accessing the same data by multiple people, and their security efforts are also top-notch.
The fact that the same company creates these solutions is why they can work together so well – creating a meeting via a calendar makes it easy to generate notifications for other team members, schedule video conferences ahead of time, and so on. A G-suite can be used to access different workflows simultaneously, improving collaboration and offering collective input capabilities.
The list of features and/or functions of a construction project management software in general includes, but not exclusive to:
- Maximizing resource efficiency
- Setting performance requirements
- Selecting project participants
- Delineation of scope, etc.
This kind of construction management software allows for an easy implementation of various operations via proper control and coordination when it comes to planning, design, estimates, contracting and the actual construction, while also developing mechanisms for conflict resolving and effective communications in general.
Since the market of construction project management software is incredibly vast, it’s difficult to cover all of the different options out there. However, it can be done if we’re choosing some of the best solutions on the market.
Here’s a comparison table of 10 different construction collaboration project management solutions, highlighting some of the more important features of each solution, as well as its pricing:
|Buildertrend||$339 per month|
|Procore||Request a quote for pricing info|
|Fieldwire||$0 for the basic version|
|CoConstruct||$399 per month|
|SiteMax||$24 per month per user|
|eSUB Subcontractor||$49 per month per user|
|Autodesk Construction Cloud||Request a quote for pricing info|
|GanttPRO||$7.99 per month per user|
|Knowify||$186 per month per user|
|Projectmates||Request a quote for pricing info|
Of course, it is not a particularly nuanced comparison since every solution has its own advantages and nuances. As such, we are going to go over a larger list of construction project management solutions and showcase every single one of them in greater detail. Here’s our top-25 list of the best construction project management software for small business in 2023:
- Jonas Enterprise
- Sage 100 Contractor
- Contractors Software Group Products
- eSUB Subcontractor
- Autodesk Construction Cloud
- Jonas Premier
- UDA ConstructionSuite
Now we’re going to look at each example of construction management software programs in a bit more detail.
Procore is a unified platform that connects people, applications and devices, helping companies with risk management, project quality, project safety and budgeting. In this context, it is also a construction collaboration software. Procore offers a wide variety of different products from categories such as Construction Project Management, Quality & Safety, Construction Financials, etc. The addition of a remote access to the project allows the team members to be aware of all of the changes even without being together in the first place.
Effective communication from the field to the office is also a big benefit in this regard. This includes real time updates, instantaneous tracking, less reworks in general, and so on. There’s also budgeting, scheduling, as well as the added general benefit in the form of comprehensive construction tracking software, resulting in several different advantages, such as faster conflict resolving, quicker response times, and so on. All of that directly affects the general project efficiency, drastically increasing it in most cases. The combination of many different features and functions is what makes Procore one of the top construction management software on the market.
- Capterra – 4.5/5 stars based on 2,619 customer reviews
- G2 – 4.6/5 stars based on 1,871 customer reviews
- Great for workflow centralization efforts
- Offers a wealth of learning materials for newcomers and experts alike
- Extensive visualization capabilities
- Praise-worthy customer support
- Has a steep learning curve
- Cannot toggle between subsequent submittals or RFIs
- Some processes are somewhat time-consuming
- Can be somewhat slow for unknown reasons
- There is no public pricing available for Procore on its official website, and the only way to receive any relevant information about possible licensing options is to request a quote directly from the software provider company itself.
- Tiffany H. – “Procore has given us so many tools at every level in order to organize and track our projects. This is so important for every project and helps everyone stay on the same page.”
- Allison M. – “We began using Procore on a large multi-building multi-phase project. The software was easy for our team members to use and the more they used it the more they were impressed by it. The organization of the paperwork was a dream compared to the endless Excel spreadsheets we previously used. Procore’s interconnected features made our Project Engineers more efficient in their paperwork. The ability to take a tablet out on the site and step away from their desk made them more involved in the work being done.”
- Ricky Mark M. – “The stage offers a great many highlights that are explicitly intended to address the issues of development experts, for example, recording the board, project planning, financial plan following, and revealing instruments. Moreover, Procore’s cloud-based openness and portable application make it simple for groups to team up and keep awake to date on project progress from any place. While Procore may not be the most reasonable undertaking for the executive’s programming choice, it offers a vigorous and profoundly adjustable arrangement that can help development groups smooth out their work processes and complete ventures all the more productively.”
Revizto’s main use case is to act as a collaboration platform for different workflows, be it 2D or 3D, allowing for seamless communication between all of the project’s participants, from designers to stakeholders. Revizto can easily work throughout all of the different phases of the construction project, including both the design phase and the post-construction maintenance stage.
- Clash management
- Issue tracking
- VR support for various purposes
- The synergy between 3D and 2D models
- User-friendly interface
- Data centralization capabilities
- Great issue tracking capabilities across the board
- Ability to assign specific clashes to different personnel
- A variety of integrations with popular BIM and CAD solutions
- Useful coordination and collaboration tool with centralized information access
- There may be some difficulties with large project files, leading to software slow-downs or even crashes
- The UI may take some time to get used to after solutions such as Navisworks
- Data filtering is difficult to set up properly
- Reporting feature could be more customizable
- Revizto does not have any pricing information available in public, the only way to obtain such information is to request a quote from the company in question and/or schedule a demo of that same solution.
- Steven B. – “We are now only using this software for as-built purposes and we are trying to enforce it that the subs sign in to be able to do shop drawing changes that come in from out in the field. We want our superintendents more involved in the coordination process and this is how we plan to get them in there.”
- seiya o. – “fast, easy, and accurate visual coordination at ease by using Revizto. We were able to have our client provide positive feedback. customer service was great. I especially thank to rep for all the help that he provided in the early days of Revizto.”
- Bill M. – “Our project collaboration efficiency increased, as did our quality and confidence with our designs as a result of the “single source of truth” approach that Revizto provides.”
Jonas Enterprise is a comprehensive construction project management software for small businesses, with one of its main features being the job costing module. This module deals with and improves upon plenty of matters, such as jub management, job costs collection and tracking, labor and equipment hours, billing rates, billing tables, and such.
It’s also possible to use a tool crib module for more accurate tools tracking process, allowing for better tool management through knowing the location of your tools by recording when they were taken out and returned.
Another interesting part of Jonas Enterprise is their scheduler, allowing for easily customizable Gantt charts, and there’s also an unusual take on a web based construction management software Jonas eTimesheets that enables payroll process automatization by logging hours remotely from anywhere, making it easier to manage employees – the most important resource of all.
- User-friendly interface
- Great overview of all reports and project costs in one place
- Plenty of features to choose from
- Quotes can only be created via work orders
- Some of the features are unnecessarily sophisticated
- Plenty of bugs in the software
- Jonas Enterprise’s only approach to pricing is via custom quotes that are calculated for every client depending on their needs and use cases. A company would have to request a quote in order to receive a specific price tag for the solution in question.
- Theodore C. – “We are now doing more with less staff due to the efficiencies that Jonas has brought up related to time entry and document review utilizing Jonas Documents, now our managers can view invoices for jobs and work orders without having to dig thru large files. We also have improved data entry with payroll due to upload capability from Field Time and eMobile.”
- Jason P. – “We have had a very positive 9 years with Jonas and the Jonas team. If we ever have an issue no matter how big or small the Jonas team have taken the time to talk to us and make sure any issue is resolved”
- Mariann M. – “Overall, the system once you know how to do the functions is fairly easy to use. If you don’t know the system, the information is difficult to find, however, the customer support team is very helpful and timely to help.”
Another good choice when it comes to best construction project management software for small businesses is ProContractor, which is an all-in-one solution helping mainly with critical financial operations, such as estimating, accounting, project management, etc.
It’s easy for contractors to provide accurate seamless estimates when it comes to masonry and earth work. ProContractor comes with 3D visuals, allowing users to have a comprehensive view of projects and helping with labor costs determination, material and equipment determination and such.
Information centralization allows ProContractor users to compare labor and costs with the estimates, comes with a drag and drop feature to remove data duplication, provides the means for job tracking, maximizes visibility, and so on.
- Cloud-based structure means easy access to data from different locations
- Offers CAD file importing capabilities
- Greatly simplifies takeoff management
- Field integration capabilities lack consistency
- The autosave feature slows down the system considerably and is too frequent by default
- The mobile app needs a lot of work
- ProContractor’s pricing is not publicly available on the official website, it can only be acquired by requesting a quote or scheduling a demo from the company in question.
- Owen W. – “We are a specialty subcontractor with seven entities doing approximately $50M/revenue, have been growing double digits since ProContractor installation and have been ProContractor users for approximately 3.5 years.”
- Will G. – “Overall, moving to the hosted version fit our organization correctly. The availability of PC cloud is amazing and the support is great as well.”
- Josh L. – “If you are switching systems you will always be a little frustrated in the learning process. Be patient and willing to learn and this software will pay for itself in short time.”
Spectrum Construction Management Software from Viewpoint is an ERP system with a web interface that offers multiple useful tools to work with and improve various sides of your construction process. This includes materials and equipment management, document control, accounting, project management, reporting, HR, payroll, and more.
Additionally, since v14, Spectrum is a 100% web based construction management software, meaning that this construction tracking software is now even easier to use and requires no software to maintain and no hardware to purchase. Since the entire interface is web-based, it can now be accessed from almost anywhere, and with no concerns for security, since Spectrum boasts the protection level similar to what online banking is using.
- Speed and versatility
- Ease of use
- Detailed dashboards
- Some of the more common accounting features are missing
- Reports are not detailed enough outside of custom ones
- Custom reports are difficult to create
- Spectrum’s pricing is not publicly available on the official website, it can only be acquired by requesting a quote or scheduling a demo from the company in question.
- Nick M. – “We are still developing our processes as we are still a relatively new user, but overall we have had a very good experience with Spectrum.”
- Meredith B. – “Overall we have very few problems and almost no downtime. Our employees can access the system from any internet connection which has saved us during hurricanes, covid and such. We have never missed a payroll even during those times. It is easy to use and our employees are able to get their jobs done as needed relatively efficiently. It has open APis for pushing data in and pulling data out. They are focused on improvements to make the overall job of construction from the field, PM level and back office better and run more efficiently.”
- Stephen T. – “We are improving our use of the software’s many features and use Spectrum’s reports to track, report, and monitor financial and job performance on a weekly basis.”
Sage 100 Contractor
Sage 100 Contractor (formerly known as Sage Master Builder) is an integrated business management and accounting system, mostly oriented on small and medium-sized contractors and subcontractors.
The construction tracking software itself is sold on a per-seat basis and consists of multiple different optional modules, most of them offering one or two of the features above. There’s also purchase orders, job costs, customizable reports, subcontracts and such.
- Equipment management
- Project management
- General ledger
- Accounts receivable
- Easy budgeting
- Quick item entry
- Convenient feature layout
- Custom reports are difficult to generate without training
- General lack of details in reports
- Inconsistent issues with integrations
- Sage 100 Contractor’s pricing is not publicly available on the official website, it can only be acquired by requesting a quote or scheduling a demo from the company in question.
- Doug F. – “We are a general contractor and we probably don’t utilize all the bells and whistles available in the software that a subcontractor might use to their benefit. We were mislead on the reports available when we purchased the software and spent significant dollars getting a custom report to suit our needs. The software has been very reliable.”
- Chris H. – “Training wasn’t smooth. Our trainer was a good person but we were mislead in regards to the cost of getting started so that was a negative from the beginning.”
- CHERYL L. – “This product keeps daily track of so many aspects of running a business and is very structured in keeping you and your business concerns organized. I completely depend on this for ALL of our accounting and project needs. Again, I can not say enough about the customer service.”
As the name suggests, GanttPRO is a software that mainly works with Gantt charts, and thus focusing mostly on project management. Gantt charts allow task and subtask grouping, task scheduling, task organizing, setting up dependencies and deadlines for tasks, and so on.
As a construction project software, GanttPRO can be beneficial for both working alone and within a team, offering work schedule customization, Gantt chart export into XLSX, PDF and other formats, project importing from MS Project or MS Excel, and synchronization with JIRA Cloud Software. Public URLs are also of use, especially when there’s a need to share your chart with anyone else, even outside of the company.
- The overall collaborative nature with access to deadlines and tasks for all team members
- High degree of customization for Gantt charts
- User-friendly interface
- Relatively high price tag
- The mobile app’s capabilities are rather limited
- The solution can get slower with more complicated charts
- GanttPRO can offer four different pricing plans:
- “Basic” – $7.99 per user per month, offers Gantt & Board view, virtual resources, project calendars, scheduling capabilities, and more
- “PRO” – $12.99 per user per month, can offer overdue tasks, custom project templates, bulk change, custom fields, etc.
- “Business” – $19.99 per user per month, can offer time tracking, workload management, reports, integration with Jira Cloud, etc.
- “Enterprise” – no public pricing available, the most feature-rich offering from GanttPRO with SSO support, onboarding assistance, higher API limits, etc.
- Courtney S. – “I have been using GantPRO in both professional and academic settings; it has helped me effectively communicate with stakeholders and lead a team whose members are unfamiliar with project management’s nuances.”
- Yuchen L. – “GanttPRO has been an excellent project management tool for our team. The advanced Gantt chart features have enabled us to create detailed and customized project plans, while the robust task management capabilities have helped us keep track of progress and prioritize our work accordingly. The resource management and time tracking features have also been useful in managing our team and tracking project progress. Although there is a steep learning curve, the user-friendly interface and helpful resources have made it easier to navigate. The customer support has also been great in answering any questions or resolving any issues we’ve encountered.”
- Allan Z. – “Sign in and, go! That was my personal experience the minute I started using this app. The application is very intuitive, but I am a technical person, the real test was when I brought the rest of the team and managers to the platform. The team felt comfortable on the application and there was not much training we had to provide. If you are used to excel and to-do list you already know how to use this application.”
CoConstruct is another one of the web-based construction project management tools, offering three different modules and an unusual software design that is built to meet the needs of the clients. For example, management can perpetually change concepts instead of limiting the possibilities of constructors when it comes to different activities, designs or specific materials.
Another important part of CoConstruct software is unrestrained customization, offering many different modification and revision possibilities. It is done by segregating all of the valuable information into a single hub that can be then used to control orders, bids, selections, and such. Other features like content tracking, lead tracking and dedicated client portals are also there to help the company stay aware of all of their orders and be able to deliver the best service possible for each of their customers.
- Communication organization and other management tasks for several projects at once
- Estimating and job tracking in a single location for better convenience
- Centralization capabilities for all of its tasks
- Difficult to export data and/or switch to a different solution
- Basic tasks are somewhat overcomplicated
- Impossible to add descriptions to images when uploading them
- CoConstruct can offer three different pricing plans:
- “Essential” – $399 per month ($99 for the first two months) is a basic set of features such as project planning, daily logs, customer portal, invoices, receipts, etc.
- “Advanced” – $699 per month ($399 for the first two months) is a more feature-rich offering from CoConstruct with budgeting, surveys, WIP reports, purchase orders, and so on
- “Complete” – $999 per month ($699 for the first two months) is everything CoConstruct has to offer, including selections, warranties, Requests for Information (RFI), etc.
- Steven G. – “I have been using Co-construct for several months and it has been one of the Best investments I have made for my company. I tried much other scheduling, estimating programs and this one by far are the easiest to work with. Being somewhat of a Luddite, most applications are difficult to comprehend. I’m also from the old school-“if it works, don’t fix it”. In this case, it wasn’t so much fixing as it was enhancing, making my work easier, like switching from hand tools to machine tools. The price? In my opinion, I have saved countless hours by not repeating the sequence of transferring information.”
- Rebecca S. – “Overall I am happy with the software. It takes a long time to populate everything and it takes a lot of time to learn how to use all of the tools, and it is REALLY expensive, . . . but, it can be a very good tool that saves a lot of money through more efficient RFP process and scheduling.”
- Christi R. – “The support team was great and understanding of our issues. I’m glad we tried CoConstruct as it helped us figure out what was most important.”
Fieldwire is a project management solution for the construction teams of different sizes. The main purpose of this construction project software is to promote and make it easier to collaborate and coordinate with high efficiency. Fieldwire is available as an application on both iOS and Android, and the standalone Windows version is in beta as of now.
- Punch list
- Task management
- Custom construction forms
- Plan viewer
- Construction reports
- Inspection management
- As-built drawings, and more.
- Allows for clear and effective communication between project participants
- Information sharing, including photos and documents
- A lot of emphasis on the creativity of a user
- Budget tracking capabilities are rather limited
- A shortage of preloaded items such as fixed tasks or forms
- Generating weekly reports by combining daily ones is not possible
- There are four different pricing plans that Fieldwire is capable of offering:
- “Basic” is completely free, offering a number of basic features such as task management, checklists, plan viewing, and more
- “Pro” – $54 per month per user, offering custom task statuses, reports/exports, sheet comparison, etc.
- “Business” – $74 per month per user, with features such as a BIM viewer, custom forms, file storage synchronization capabilities, and many others
- “Business Plus” – $89 per month per user, the most expensive offering from Fieldwire with RFI creation capabilities, submittals, and a lot of upcoming features such as change orders
- Brandon D. – “I am able to coordinate with trades and consultants quickly and effectively. I can usually access drawings faster than they can when speaking over the phone. All of the files are very accessible and the program is user friendly”
- Melissa M. – “We use Fieldwire for reviewing drawings in the field, tagging issues, and creating reports for the contractors. With a few more customizations this tool will be ideal for us.”
- Blake P. – “Field Wire is a great tool however it has some issues to be worked out such as the lack of Wi-Fi on a jobsite causes workers to not get an update to a drawing immediately. If we wanted the information to be transmitted to them in real time we would have to get cellular data on all of the devices that utilize this product.”
STACK is another example of an all-in-one construction project software solution, this one focusing mostly on the preconstruction process. STACK’s industry-leading cloud-based software is capable of both improving profitability and driving maximum efficiency, working as a centralized hub for team collaboration, planroom management, project reporting, material takeoff, and so on.
The solution itself is cloud-based, offering unlimited training and support, and working with both Windows and Mac.
- Excel integration
- Printing & exporting
- Summary & detail reporting
- Real-time collaboration
- Pre-built materials library
- On-screen takeoff, etc.
- Cloud-based nature allows for extensive collaborative capabilities
- Detailed archive of assemblies and items
- Initial setup and onboarding is relatively simple
- Navigation around the software may be tricky at times
- The price tag is rather high and the trial period is very short
- The scaling for more than one user in terms of the price is expensive
- STACK offers three different pricing plans for its software:
- Starting at $2,499 per year per user for the “Takeoff & Estimating” solution that focuses on preconstruction
- Starting at $599 per year per user for the “Field Productivity” solution that is a construction-focused offering
- Starting at $3,588 per company per year is the “Project Management” offering that is also focused on the construction phase
- Jarmo P. – “Overall, I have been very pleased with STACK. It has helped me to stay organized and on track with my tasks. The user interface is easy to navigate and the notifications feature is very helpful. The only downside is that there are still a few bugs that need to be addressed.”
- Jake V. – “Stack was a significant upgrade to our takeoff process. The speed and being able to natively use it on Mac make this software great. The development team continues to add great features, some of which bring feature parity with competitors, but others are unique and now classified as “can’t live without” around our office.”
- Selene D. – “Stack is the customer service I measure all other customer service by. They are friendly, nice and helpful! They are super easy to reach as well from right inside Stack! They don’t always have the answers, but if they can find them they will! Their knowledge database in stack is also pretty extensive so it’s easy to find most of your easier answers in there yourself.”
Sitemax Systems is a software development company that offers construction-focused software for progressive companies in the industry, focusing on making everything more efficient via centralization – it’s one of the reasons why Sitemax is considered one of the best construction software providers right now. Centralization means awareness of everything that’s going on in your company, and this, in turn, makes it easier to make informed decisions.
On its core Sitemax is a collaborative environment, with paper documents replaced by customizable interfaces and layouts for processing all kinds of reports, be it a daily report, a safety report or a site report. Converting from older forms (Excel, Word, PDF) is also possible, to digitalize the entirety of your documents from the get-go.
Another benefit of Sitemax is the ability to assist with time management and some features, centralized around that, including location-aware geo check-in and check-out using employees’ mobile devices. The same tracking can be applied for tools via QR stickers, and a lot of data is recorded to keep note of the progress and the security.
- User-friendly interface
- Praise-worthy customer support
- A lot of room for customization when it comes to payroll reports, forms, etc.
- Time tracking using a mobile app is challenging
- No Gannt-like overview of the current project schedule for convenience’s sake
- The number of integrations with other solutions is small
- SiteMax can offer three different pricing plans for its users, such as:
- “Lite” – $24 per month per user with an upper limit of 10 users, offering daily reports, unlimited storage and projects, form builder, safety checklists, etc.
- “Pro” – $399 per month for 5 users (additional users can be added for additional $54 per month per user), combining the previous offering with safety management, photo management, timecards, drawing storage, and many others
- “Power” – $599 per month for 5 users (with every additional user costing $84 per user per month), supporting RFIs, submittals, punch lists, integrations, change orders, and more
- Gavin P. – “How Sitemax shares daily job reports has allowed everyone from the company president, to project support personal to have clear insights into every project. It has helped raise the bar on what is shared. The bank of safety and operational forms has limited the paper forms held on site and again we now know these are been completed.”
- Lana B. – “Benefits I get from using SiteMAX are priceless!! Everything I need to know about where the different crews are what they are working on in real time is a plus for WEC.”
- Brandon L. – “Communication between the project team in the field and management in the office. Punch List items between on PM and the subcontractors. Keeping the owner abreast of the status of the punch list items.”
Knowify is a project management platform that offers job estimates and doubles down as a construction tracking software in terms of performance. It’s easy to monitor everything in real time when it comes to labor and material budgets, thanks to the full integration with purchasing and time keeping. Both project management and job costing capabilities are the prime focuses of the solution.
- Work with orders
- Job costing
- Bid estimates
- Warranty management
- Time tracking
- Expenses and purchasing
- Export into a file
- Personalized PDF outputs, and so on.
- Frequent content updates with new features
- Extensive time tracking capabilities
- Easy invoice generation
- Quickbooks synchronization is sometimes problematic
- Mobile application is limited in terms of capabilities
- A solution is mostly aimed at contractors, so companies from other industries, such as architects, may have some issues with the way it works
- Knowify’s offerings can be split into three pricing plans:
- “Essentials” – $186 per month for one user (additional users can be added for $10 per month per user), a simple solution for self-starters with the bare minimum of useful features
- “Advanced” – $311 per month for one user (additional users can be added for $10 more per month per user), a great solution for small teams that helps with simplifying project finances and operations, as well as with general team management capabilities
- “Unlimited” does not have a public price tag available, but it is the peak of Knowify’s capabilities, with multiple teams managed at once, as well as project finances management, complex tasks management, and more
- Elizabeth S. – “Knowify allows me to better track materials and labor. Overall, it’s alright as a support tool but I feel it still has a long way to go. Knowify Support basically refers to the user manual for any questions – may as well start there before contacting them.”
- Daniel d. – “We started running our virtual biotech company on Knowify several months ago, and it’s been enormously helpful. Since we have multiple labs (all over the place) doing work for us at any given point in time, and since many of our contracts specify that we cover various costs (like reagents, etc), giving our partners Knowify ID’s has really helped us keep track of who is ordering what/when so that when the bills arrive we’re never caught blindsided. I’ve also used it several times to reference contracts and old invoices – which is 100x better than rummaging through file cabinets. It would have been very painful for us to manage the growing complexity of our efforts with our old (manual filing + dropbox) ways, so Knowify is well worth the money for us. Admittedly we haven’t had to use the invoicing / client management tools yet – but that’s just the nature of our business – we won’t have revenues for a few more years at least. Marc at Knowify was really helpful early on when I emailed him with a few questions, so 5 stars for service, too.”
- Tonya S. – “We love sharing this software and its great features with our construction clients. To my mind there is no better job costing app on the market today for subcontractors and tradesmen in commercial construction.”
Contractors Software Group
Contractors Software Group products is a complete set of integrated applications for construction management for contractors and builders. The suite itself is promoted as an affordable choice for smaller businesses, allowing you to pick and choose what you need, with the ability to integrate more into the system in the future. One unique feature of this software is that it also offers a strong CRM tool for improving sales and harnessing prospects.
There are four main products in this solution, and they are: estimating, scheduling and project management, job cost accounting, CRM. Additionally, the company offers a builder web portal, an A-Z construction software and a remote time card web app.
- G2 – SalesBuilder Plus – 4.2/5 stars based on 7 customer reviews
- G2 – Job Accounting Plus – 4.5/5 stars based on 1 customer review
- G2 – Takeoff Plus – 3.5/5 stars based on 1 customer review
- There is no public pricing available to any of the Contractors Software Group offerings, the only way to acquire pricing information is to request a personalized quote.
Projectmates is a project management software that can also work with capital construction. The main focus of the software is to increase data security and dependability to advance construction management in general.
Projectmates dashboard allows for visualization of a large amount of information at once, with real time snapshots to ease the amount of work needed for construction scheduling, including task designation, setting up deadlines and reminders for milestones, and so on. Their contract management capabilities allow for seamless accounting management by keeping everything synchronized and creating multiple different funds to make the visualization and the distribution of the finances that much easier.
- Workflow management
- Document management
- Contact management
- Bid management
- Project dashboard
- Backups and archival
- Program reporting, etc.
- Streamlined invoice management across projects
- Simple and easy navigation
- Scheduling and project status tracking
- Infrequent software issues
- Mildly confusing user interface
- Response generation time could be faster
- The pricing of Projectmates is not publicly available on the official website, it can only be acquired by requesting a quote or scheduling a demo from the company in question.
- Kyle W. – “We as a CM firm have used this software for one of our clients. It is not what we typically use for the rest of our clients but it is VERY functional and user friendly. The App is great in that you can do all of your daily updates/paperwork off of your phone if you wanted to. I would recommend this to any of my clients to manage their construction department.”
- Paul M. – “We use it with one of our clients under their projects. We looked into getting it and it is very expensive and not reasonably priced. We use Plangrid for our projects because the pricing is much more reasonable and it’s scalable for each user.”
- Mignon A. – “I could wax poetic about Projectmates for days. This program is one of the easiest tools I have ever used to manage projects; large or small. The customer service is outstanding, they go so far above and beyond expectations. Any perceived “cons” are hardly worth mentioning as it seems every time I’ve even thought of something they are already working on solution for it. I have never had the pleasure of working with a software company that gives the kind of personalized and lightning fast support that Projectmates does; it is really incredible. The ease of use is fantastic, our vendors pick up the hang of it very quickly and the few areas that can get a little sticky take a quick phone call and everyone is sorted out and moving forward again. The program is very intuitive and really impressive.”
eSUB Cloud Subcontractor
eSub Cloud Subcontractor is one of the best construction software providers on the market – and this one mainly focuses on scheduling and management, offering full control over the assignments and the different stages of completing assignments. Real time updates while in the field are made possible thanks to the combination of critical path scheduling tools and the accessibility of cloud-based technologies, with as little to no delays as possible.
Additional functions are also possible because of the additional modules that eSUB offers as a part of the Time Card Management Software, such as the reports module, the corporate management module, the resource management module, and so on.
- Documentation of daily activities
- Convenient integration with Microsoft Office tools
- A lot of project organization capabilities
- System menus can be somewhat overcomplicated
- The interface looks outdated
- Cannot upload drawings for projects
- eSUB Cloud Subcontractor software is only available as a part of the overall eSUB Cloud software set that comes in two different pricing tiers:
- “Base” – $49 per month per user, a versatile solution with many capabilities, including daily reports, labor productivity monitoring, project summary dashboard, field notes, timecard management, and more
- “Advanced” – $69 per month per user, adds RFIs, submittals, project mailbox, change orders, purchase orders, and plenty of other features
- Garrett H. – “The team at eSUB has been very helpful. We even attended the bootcamp, which really helped a couple of our team members become more comfortable with the software. I would encourage every subcontractor that purchases eSUB to send a representative or two from to it.”
- Joshua C. – “Overall ESUB has been great, any issue we come accross is handled quickly by their tech support and their client success managers make sure to stay on top of any issues to make sure they get resolved in a timely manner.”
- Samantha M. – “Project management was made much easier with eSub. The ability for all relevant staff to access the information was priceless. It was great being able to assign different roles to different users so individuals only saw the information relevant to their position. Our clients liked receiving correspondence through eSub since attachments come through with a clear subject line and PDF file.”
All of your business management needs can be covered by WorkflowMax – an online project management system with many features, from project tracking to job monitoring. WorkflowMax comes in an all-in-one package, offering multiple different functions in one package, and everything works within the same system, faster and more effective than if it was via separate applications.
- Client management
- Time tracking
- Document management
- Job costing
- Staff scheduling, etc.
- Auto-fill capabilities for transactions
- Time tracking and time editing can be done in different ways
- Vast reporting capabilities
- Little to no useful integrations
- Impossible to link purchase orders with the cost tab
- Premium plans have a number of additional features that customers have to pay extra for
- WorkflowMax can offer two different pricing plans:
- “Standard” – $20 per month for a single user (the price per user scales down as more users are connected, with $45/month for 3 users, $55/month for 5 users, etc.), it can offer invoicing, time sheets, quoting, purchase orders, document management, etc.
- “Premium” – $70 per month for a single user (the price per user scales down as more users are connected, with $95/month for 3 users, $105/month for 5 users, etc.), adding more features to the original package, such as client groups, recurring invoices, productivity reporting, and xero invoice importing.
- Maree M. – “As Certified Implementation Partners, we have implemented and trained WorkflowMax for over sixty clients in the UK. Industries have included Creative Agencies, Architects & Engineers, Ecologists, Training Companies and General Consultancy firms.”
- Jennifer A. – “We’ve been using this for almost 2 years It keeps us on track with quoting, creating jobs and issuing invoices then doing the same steps again for recurring jobs. It’s a rinse and repeat kinda thing which works for us in the long run.”
- Mackenzie M. – “Workflow max helps to solve the issue of effective invoicing of time worked on each client. Workflow max has also helped our firm when it comes to GST time – the way workflow max integrates with Xero makes filing GST returns with Inland Revenue very simple, and lets you easily keep track of GST returns and to make sure that all returns have been filed before the due date.”
Acculynx is a comprehensive construction estimate program that provides many different tools to help with a number of different tasks, improving collaboration, better scheduling capabilities, and more. There are many different features that Acculynx is capable of providing, such as:
- Project management
- Bid management
- Customer relationship management
- Service management
- Project scheduling, and such.
The main goal of this construction management system is to increase the effectiveness of collaboration via many different operations now being easier to perform or costing less finances or less time to create/manage.
- High degree of customization for reminders, notifications, and other features
- Detailed and helpful onboarding process
- Centralized storage for notes, records and images that is also accessible from the mobile app
- Higher than the average price of the software
- Few integration capabilities
- Limited scalability and functionality for larger enterprises
- The pricing of Acculynx is not publicly available on the official website, it can only be acquired by requesting a quote or scheduling a demo from the company in question.
- Rafael P. – “I enjoy it. No CRM will ever be perfect for an organization unless you have a clear vision and 1-2 mil to drop on sales force enterprise/proprietary software. The opensource, integrative platform paired with a simplistic setup makes it hard to beat.”
- Karina S. – “I am an new user. I am liking it so far but I need more time using all it features to be able to tell for sure. I like that the trainings was very well explained. The customer support is fast. Integrations are very helpful. Is a great tool to support the business.”
- Elena W. – “Overall, I am pretty happy with AccuLynx. The support team is responsive. I like the chat feature for questions. AccuLynx is constantly coming out with new features/integrations, so I am hopeful that some of our issues with the software will be addressed in the future.”
Daily progress reports and daily activities in construction can be tracked much easier with CommittedCost. CommittedCost is an online project cost management software that mostly helps project managers, sponsors and inspectors in general. A list of features that CommittedCost can provide includes a variety of different and versatile features that would be at their most helpful in various project management tasks.
- Actual costing
- Cost analysis
- Job costing
- Project budgeting
- Purchasing management
- Accounting management
- Budgeting and forecasting
- Cost tracking
- Invoice management
- Labour costing
- Purchase order management, and more.
- The pricing of CommittedCost is not publicly available on the official website, it can only be acquired by requesting a quote or scheduling a demo from the company in question.
ECI is a cloud-based construction management software, more focused on small and medium-sized businesses. ECI enables the users to manage the entirety of communications needed for the entire team involved in a specific project. Flexible and easy solutions for the problems is the main goal of ECI.
The integration of a variety of functions in one single platform is what allows ECI to work properly within this industry and provide impressive results.
- Change orders
- Budgeting, etc.
- The pricing of ECI is not publicly available on the official website, it can only be acquired by requesting a quote or scheduling a demo from the company in question.
PENTA is a comprehensive ERP system designed mainly for large enterprises, offering multiple different modules with distinguishable functions and features. PENTA consists of four main parts: Financial Management, Equipment Cost Control, Labor Management and Project Management.
All of the benefits of PENTA as a construction tracking software are achieved via better controls over all of the different parts of the project as a whole, from the material costs to the general project management decisions. PENTA is capable of offering multiple different features, such as:
- Trend analysis reporting
- Customized job inquiry
- Complex financial management in general
- Equipment global visibility
- Automatic project charges
- Layoff checks automatic production and distribution
- Self-adjusting fringe benefit calculator, and much more.
- Financial management, including general ledger, job costing, payables and receivables, etc.
- Employee time tracking, per job, per day, etc.
- Software price is well above average
- The overall complexity of the solution makes it difficult to start using straight away
- The pricing of PENTA is not publicly available on the official website, it can only be acquired by requesting a quote or scheduling a demo from the company in question.
- Kimber R. – “Excellent software for Financials, Project Accounting, Project Management and Service Management but does lack a bit within the Payroll module (excludes some basic functionality). Unfortunately the application does not provide adequete support for Human Resources at this time.”
- Linda M. – “Penta integrates almost all facets of Project Management (with the exception of scheduling functions) with the Accounting program. This is extremely important to us because it provides an immediate picture of job cost and profitability of the project. We are upgrading to version 19.5 so I don’t feel I can give a fully accurate review until we have completed the testing process and hit the “Go Live” milestone. It would be nice to give a review of the new dashboard features from a Project Manager’s point of view.”
Buildertrend is a cloud-based construction management software offering better collaboration, better efficiency and higher profits. There’s a lot of built-in features that are included in the package, such as the CRM system, quick bids/proposals, and so on.
Project management is also performed via Buildertrend, with tools such as scheduling, time sheets, budgeting, etc. Customer management, on the other hand, includes change order and selection management, payment processing, warranty requests, etc.
One of the main reasons why Buildertrend is one of the top companies on the market is the abundance of features within one system, without any kind of separation that usually slows down the experience or makes it worse. That way, Buildertrend can also build and monitor leads, converting them into projects, make proposals, send documents, and so much more than that.
- General versatility with a wealth of options such as scheduling, budgeting, etc.
- Praise-worthy customer support team
- A user-friendly interface
- Regular improvements and content updates
- Customization options are quite limited
- A rather steep learning curve
- Inability to track multiple pay rates
- Impossible to work with multiple tabs at once because they are not synchronized with each other
- Buildertrend’s pricing model is relatively simple, it has three subscription tiers:
- “Essential” – $339 a month – a basic set of features with scheduling, daily logs, comments, invoices, to-do lists, email marketing, and more
- “Advanced” – $599 a month – adds budgeting, bills, purchase orders, estimates, lead proposals, change orders, advanced reporting, and more
- “Complete” – $829 a month – can offer warrantiers, RFIs, selections, etc.
- Jarmo P. – “Overall, I’m very pleased with the Buildertrend software. It’s the perfect tool for managing projects and keeping everything organized. The user interface is intuitive and easy to use. The cost may be a bit high for smaller projects, but it’s worth it for larger projects.”
- David L. – “After being with BuilderTrend since 2014 we were hit with a 75% price increase without notice. They say that they sent out an email but we never received it. After telling them that we sere going to cancel they offered to drop the price backdown to almost where it was. I don’t agree with those types of business practices.”
- Arthur B. – “It is helping in changing the culture at TCON Homes. It is a bit hard to explain for construction people that planning is more cost effective than starting smashing walls because you are aggregating value doing physical labour.”
Autodesk Construction Cloud (formerly Autodesk BIM 360)
Autodesk Construction Cloud is a project management system provided by Autodesk, its main purpose is the project management, including speeding up the project delivery, managing the project’s budget, adhering to the industry’s standards, rules and regulations, as well as the project’s specific parameters.
Autodesk Construction Cloud allows project managers to centralize the information in one place, making it accessible for all of the parties involved. Interacting and commenting on the centralized pieces of information is also easy, which improves the overall cooperation and collaboration between different participants of the project.
- Quality assurance
- Navigation and project viewing
- Key performance indicators (KPI)
- Construction tracking
- Field data management, etc.
- Capterra – 4.3/5 stars based on 2,072 customer reviews
- G2 – 4.2/5 stars based on 1,907 customer reviews
- A great centralized data storage for drawings, reports, schedules, RFIs, etc.
- A wealth of capabilities for different professions and purposes
- Extremely useful in terms of collaborative capabilities
- A web-based nature means greatly improved accessibility from practically anywhere in the world
- Reliance on a web-based platform as the main distribution method could lead to complete paralysis of all work operations if Autodesk servers are down for some reason
- The inability to create a project template from scratch, it is only possible to duplicate or modify the existing one
- A lot of focus on Autodesk’s internal formats and solutions, with little to no compatibility with other software or platforms
- Update frequency can be an issue for companies that are used to a slower update schedule with no compatibility issues
- Autodesk Construction Cloud is a collection of a multitude of different products, with each product having its own price that can only be learned by requesting a quote from Autodesk.
- Jarmo P. – “Autodesk Construction Cloud is a great solution for construction companies of all sizes. It offers a comprehensive suite of tools to help streamline processes and improve efficiency. The user interface is intuitive and the integration with other popular software is a great bonus. The only downside is the cost, which is a bit on the high side.”
- Kanishk Kant S. – “Its ability to streamline project management workflows, centralize project data, and facilitate collaboration among team members, can result in increased efficiency and productivity. The platform’s design coordination and document management modules are also highly regarded, as they help teams to manage design changes and project documentation more effectively.”
- James N. – “All in all, my experience with Autodesk Construction Cloud has been optimistic. Although there were some obstacles to overcome when learning the software, the benefits of the platform made it well worth the investment of my time. By simplifying my project management process, I was able to finish projects more efficiently and successfully. For any construction industry professional who is willing to put in the effort to learn, Autodesk Construction Cloud is a valuable asset.”
Jonas Premier (Premier Construction Software)
Jonas Premier (Premier Construction Software, or Premier) is a cloud construction software that is both simple and powerful at the same time, offering workflow automatization and job discovery as its main features.
Jonas Premier is a set of construction management tools that can be handled by anybody, be it someone from construction management or the specialty contractor, land developer or the general contractor – all of them can take advantage of the entire solution with many useful features, such as job cost, project/drawing/document management, accounting, and such.
Cloud technology also plays a major part in creating better accomodation for the construction industry in general – allowing for easier automation, accurate real-time information and more fruitful collaboration. All of that can be achieved by using Jonas Premier as your construction project management software.
- General versatility of the software once the terminology is learned
- Praise-worthy customer support
- Detailed reporting capabilities
- Takes a while to get used to the solution and its terminology
- Does not cover the entire spectrum of project management features such as safety, inspections, drawings uploading, etc.
- No different measurement units for the inventory
- Jonas Premier has a rather flexible pricing model with three subscription tiers:
- “Starter” – $299 per month per user (with the implementation fee starting from $15,000), a solution for new businesses with basic accounting/job costing needs
- “Premium” – $249 per month per user (with the implementation fee starting from $25,000), a great choice for growing businesses with features such as project management, job cost management, accounting, and more
- “Enterprise” – $199 per month per user (with the implementation fee starting from $50,000), a complete package of Premier’s features with a strong emphasis on automation for all of the aforementioned features
- Nate F. – “The experience so far has been great, it took a little longer to implement and train employees on the program than anticipated but now that we are up and running we are starting to see the power of the software to impact and guide project management.”
- Correen H. – “Our staff is small, so having a cloud based system was a must. We needed an easy to use system that was flexible and so far, Premier has delivered this.We have a variety of project and we are not a general contractor. Our needs are unique, but working with our implementation specialist, we were able to configure the system to work for us.”
- Amy S. – “Our overall experience has been very positive. The customer service is exceptional. The software itself is very complete – it has more capabilities than we even use, but having the options makes for a pleasant surprise when we do need to dive deeper or track additional costs.”
UDA ConstructionSuite is another solution aimed mostly at smaller companies, offering a decent list of features and combining the ConstructionOnline technology and ConstructionNet CRM to redefine the way the construction industry can reach its goals.
There are four different versions of the UDA ConstructionSuite depending on the industry, such as Residential, Commercial, Industrial, or Specialty. The feature list of UDA, on the other hand, is much more lengthy and varied.
- Document management
- Interacting with clients online
- CRM capabilities
- Centralized access to project information with the ability to add scheduling, budgeting and estimating data
- No built-in financial software, relies on Quickbooks, which can be problematic
- Scheduling tool has a lot of unusual constraints
- Navigating the app can be confusing
- UDA ConstructionSuite starts at $229 per month for the standard package and one user (it is possible to extend that functionality up to 25 computers for an additional price), offering advanced estimating capabilities, accounting feature set, CAD integrations, scheduling capabilities, as well as a mobile app, a set of network features, document management, and company management offerings
- Christine F. – “Had a good discussion today about a possible issue when exporting and importing a project, reviewed concerns and a possible issue with synchronizing. Good conversation and I felt that UDA truly cared.”
- Philip S. – “An agent from UDA has been extremely beneficial and first class as far as Customer Service is concerned. She has helped us understand the MANY great things that this program has to offer my business. No matter how big or small the questions We may have, Cydney directs Us through our problems and understanding of this product professionally. She has been a pleasure to work with!”
- Md R. – “We have China Garden Developers Ltd. under our group of companies. We have been managing our national and international construction through this software. This software has brought transparency and accountability in the company. As the corporate affairs manager, the client management and CRM feature is more important for me. I am delighted with the performance of this software. I do strongly recommend UDA ConstructionSuite.”
ClickUp is a well-known construction project management software with a lot of emphasis on productivity control. It manages to serve as a collaboration hub for different teams to work together and share data in many different forms, be it whiteboards, goals, documents, tasks, etc. It is a scalable and flexible platform that can help teams of all sizes to reach their goals. It can offer vast automation capabilities with transparency and incredible performance, while also remaining a relatively cheap solution.
- Column calculations
- Map view
- Offline mode
- Mobile app, etc.
- Capterra – 4.7/5 stars based on 3,674 customer reviews
- G2 – 4.7/5 stars based on 6,810 customer reviews
- High degree of customization
- Easy commenting, easy to stay in the loop for all team members
- Great collaboration tool capable of connecting people from all over the world
- No WhatsApp integration
- A limited number of integrations
- Can’t attach a recurring task to a goal
- ClickUp has quite the large variety of different pricing plans to choose from:
- “Free Forever” is, as the name suggests, a free plan with 100 Mb of storage, as well as whiteboards, Kanban boards, Calendar View, 2FA, etc.
- “Unlimited” – $9 per month per user, featuring a somewhat extended version of the Free plan with no limitations on the storage capacity, as well as form view, agile reporting, column calculations, etc.
- “Business” – $19 per month per user, with features such as advanced dashboards, advanced time tracking, workload management, custom exporting, and many others
- “Business Plus” – $29 per month per user, with custom permissions, team sharing, subtasks, custom roles, priority support, and more
- “Enterprise” does not have a public pricing available, it is the complete set of features, adding SSO, live onboarding, enterprise API access, advanced permissions, access to managed services, etc.
- Laura H. – “ClickUp’s extensive features make it ideal for businesses who need to automate procedures and workflows and may serve a wide variety of customers. This works wonderfully for us as a business. For businesses with fewer customers and fewer personnel who need transparency and procedures, it may be overkill.”
- Sorangel Josefina B. – “Everything in our business goes through ClickUp. It’s nice to have a central point that supports everything. Everything I intend to do, I record it there. Also, when working with clients, I develop project plans and assign employees to each of them. They are present, they finish their work, they comment when they encounter a setback, they collaborate and they move forward. With ClickUp, there is no room for sloppiness; every customer or need is recognized. In addition, we have regular tasks that need to be performed on an ongoing basis to verify your Amazon accounts, ads and improve them.”
- Anastacia G. – “Overall ClickUp is the one-stop shop for all things related to task, time, and project management. Our company doesn’t have to go out and get a tool for time management in addition to project management. Nope, everything is all bundled into one large system and it makes it so much easier to become familiar with.”
Improving collaboration in construction
It is important to remember that while construction collaboration software does play a large role in changing the original ways of many different construction processes, this software is not a solution to every problem, and the process of improving collaboration within the construction process cannot be solved with just some software. As such, we can specify four different elements that go into improving overall construction collaboration efforts, starting with adding the aforementioned construction software.
- Construction tools. With the construction industry being this traditional and conservative, it is easy to see why many processes still rely on WhatsApp notifications, Excel spreadsheets, and email threads. However, these tools will never be efficient enough compared with actual construction-specific toolsets, with real-time connection to the project’s source of information and with no context of what is currently happening with that project.
- Unified data source. Project management can be incredibly complicated if it does not have some sort of information pool to work with. Using a single source of information for a project is a surprisingly new idea in the construction field, even though it may seem somewhat obvious. However, much of this is less about the intent and more about multiple software systems with proprietary data formats unable to communicate with each other. A single source of “truth” about the project solves everything in one motion.
- Project planning and quality management. Every part of the construction project must be connected and involved in the process in some form, even if it is just mentioned in the master schedule. Quality management is one such example, it may not seem particularly important in the long run, but it creates a massive difference when you see how many issues are resolved immediately as they appear and not during the later parts of the construction when corrections cost more and take more time. Resolving conflicts works in a similar fashion – a unified source of information can be a great way to have an objective view of the necessary information at a specific point in time, which helps resolve conflicts that much easier.
- Incorporating intelligence from the field. Standardization is also a massive part of why having a unified source of truth is so important. Collecting all kinds of information from the field and your past projects makes it easier for you to expand upon and improve your existing processes based on past mistakes or errors at various stages of the project creation. This same intelligence can also help you gain more down-to-earth insights and predictions about future projects, improving both your credibility in the eyes of a customer and your KPI as a whole.
Of course, plenty of other, more specific pieces of advice could be given to achieve better collaboration. For example, strong leadership would be able to facilitate collaboration and convince others of its importance. Collaboration efforts themselves should start as early as possible, with the design stage being a preferable time frame since it allows many different stakeholders to get involved in a project’s creative process and accommodate their input. Establishing communication methods between stakeholders is also something that must be done as early as possible, eliminating any miscommunication issues that may arise down the line.
This article showcases a lot of different companies that focus on construction collaboration software and/or project management solutions. As it stands, it’s obvious that the market for such software is large and highly competitive, meaning that it’s possible to find the exact solution you’re looking for with the specific list of features that your company needs.
For example, Autodesk Construction Cloud would be a great choice for customers who are willing to pay extra to access one of the most extensive feature sets available on the market. Revizto is a convenient option for customers interested in collaborative tasks, particularly in terms of clash detection with the assistance of virtual reality. On the other hand, Fieldwire is at its peak when used by companies primarily focused on jobsite management.
Why you can trust us
The Revizto team is dedicated to providing an objective view of various information, including products, technologies, and more. They utilize expert insights, product data, and strategic methodologies to create comprehensive market overviews. The goal is to ensure that every visitor has access to as much information as possible in order to make an informed decision.
All of their materials incorporate multiple factors, such as pricing, customer reviews, unique features, and others. A detailed methodology is employed in their review process, led by James Ocean, the BIM/VDC Specialist.
James Ocean, as the Head of BIMspiration at Revizto, plays a vital role in driving progress and success. He supports and educates both the internal team and clients, providing guidance on how to effectively utilize Revizto to optimize workflows, reduce costs, and successfully complete various types of projects.